Friday, August 3, 2018

A Guy, a Dog and a Blog

The life and times of Zippy, 

Wooster Square's Rock Star Blind Italian Stallion Greyhound. 

Ode to Zippy 

(2003-2017)


My baby boy.

Dogs can mean a lot to people.
Zippy was no exception.
He was a rock star.


I rescued Zippy, 
an Italian Greyhound 
just weeks before I moved to 
Wooster Square
from the the Heights of Foxon 
(Fair Haven).



Zippy was about 2 and a half years old.

Just adopted.

Just 2 weeks later, we met Chyna and Cheryl.
And for everyone but Chyna, all are happy as a Pepe's Clam Pie!
(Chyna is just the Alpha leader).


Cheryl and I married in 2008, almost 10 years ago.



When I was Single, Zippy and I used to 
wander the streets of New Haven
from Long Wharf to Broadway. Of course,
I was at the end of the leash, but 
Zippy was an attraction all to himself.



The Zipster pranced like a pure bred stallion.
Being that he couldn't see, it was especially
tricky "walking" Zippy as you had to
guide him like a horse.


Zippy trusted us with his life.
What Zippy gave us was priceless,
unconditional love.



Zippy had been known to stop the old
Rudy's where he was always welcome
by the old bartender there, who recently passed.

People would randomly stop me in the street to ask me if my dog was Zippy! I just stopped asking people how they new Zipster...
he just had special powers.

All seeing and All knowing.



Mr. Zippers had a way with charming people, especially women.
He would wander the bar as if he knew everyone. 
Seems as if everybody did.




Four dogs and a wedding 10 years ago.

He loved attention and he got it.




Popular at the old Fuel Coffee Shop,
he was inside twice when the health
inspector came in... 

What Happened to Dog Friendly? 

No, it wasn't Zippy's fault that Fuel Coffee Shop Closed, we just happened to be there a couple of times a day.




Zippy was a special dog. 
He wasn't treated well at his 
original home with twin boys. 
Zipster didn't see well and would get startled.

Zippy spent over 2 years at a Greyhound rescue.


Nobody would adopt him because he was black.
(Italian greyhounds come in all 
sorts of cool colors!)
I didn't care, I took him on the spot.



Oh, and there might be some to say 
he was a bit of a crank.

Or some would say really cranky.

When Zippy would get all comfy under covers
all you had to do was speak to 
him and he would growl.


He bit just about everyone who 
loved him at one time or another.
Zippers hated to be picked up, 
unless by me, and that 
was a dangerous prospect at times.


"I'm sorry I bit you Daddy", Zippy would say
(Zippy called me Daddy even though I adopted him.)

But you just kinda felt sorry for the little guy.

After dusk, he was almost completely blind when
I moved to Wooster Square.On our nightly walks Zippy in Wooster Park he would love to BARK, and hear his voice echo (echo) 
off the old historic homes
of our storied sakura square.

Zippy had more quirks than 
screws in an erector set, 
but you dealt with them,
it was what defined him.



One such not so oddity was t
hat he loved raw vegetables!



All you had to do was pull out 
some veggies to make
a salad and he was whining and begging.

The smell and sound of vegetables
being chopped drove him crazy.


Zip had an internal clock that wouldn't stop, he knew EXACTLY
to the minute 
when he should eat, 
go outside, 
go for a walk,
get treats before bed......

Cheryl and I were on Zipper time, 
but we didn't mind at all.

He gave back to us so much love and affection.

As Zip got older, his eyes started bothering him
and to add insult to injury they had to be removed.

The vet explained to us
 we could have implants and 
Zippy would blink as if he had eyes.

However, this was a procedure was more for
the pet owners  than the pets themselves. 

The vet recommended just
sewing the eyes shut once removed.

I know, pretty gruesome business this pet owning. But old Zippy pulled through, 
he adjusted.

Of course, by now he's missing most of his teeth and getting up there in age.


In the spring of 2016
Zippy had some convulsions. 
We took him to the Hospital.

The attending Vet told us that we all die sometime....
he's 14 years old, all these physical problems...
great bedside manners.. Zippy was in the hospital for three days and three nights.

I was besides myself. I didn't get to say goodbye!
But he pulled through. Again, you can't keep a good Zippy down! Cheryl and I made the most of the time we had left with Zippy.

We didn't travel far from home, 
and if we did and could, 
we brought all the dogs. 



By the Fall of 2016, Zippy was having problems
standing up while doing his business. And soon, sadly he just ran out of gas.

 
 We were hoping that the poor little
 Zip would just go to sleep. 
But alas, as a final act of our love for Zippy,
we took him to the vet one lonely fall afternoon. 

We tearfully said our goodbyes as Zippy slipped
away and told him to meet us at the 
Rainbow Bridge, we will come for him. 

Cheryl and I knew it was time to let go.

Zippy can SEE again!!!

As Cheryl and I supported each other to the car, a large Red Tail Hawk flew circles around us.



We knew it was Zippy's spirit flying free
with his new gift of sight! Always flying
above us to love and protect us....

Thank You Zippy,
 for all you gave to not only our lives,
but to all the lives that 
my cute little baby boy touched.


Zippy
Wooster Square's Rock Star
Italian Stallion Greyhound





No comments:

Post a Comment